As a child care professional I have often been inspired by the Reggio concept of the 100 Languages of Children. When speaking with other Independent Professional Caregivers, and parents of children in child care programs, CHOICE is an important part of this discussion – including choices for parents and children that reflect their values, needs, culture and language. I hope some of these “voices” will inspire you to think of your own reasons (voices) that you can share with the Ministry of Education. The proposed Child Care Modernization Act will restrict the number of children that Independent Professional Caregivers are allowed to care for through archaic age ratio rules that do not reflect the true state of child care in Ontario today.
The 100 Languages of Children for Child Care Choice would include children telling the Minister of Education that they want real choice, because their Independent Professional Caregiver…
- Speaks their language (English, French, Cantonese, Punjabi, Farsi, ASL …)
- Sings with me
- Reads with me
- Plays with me
- Creates with me
- Hugs me
- Loves me
- Teaches me
- Supports me
- Shares their family with me
- Is part of my family…
The 100 Voices of Parents for Child Care Choice would include parents telling Minister Sandals that they choose an Independent Professional Caregiver…
- I choose quality care for my child; I choose to use the services of an Independent Professional Caregiver.
- My Independent Professional Caregiver is part of our family.
- I chose an Independent Professional Caregiver to have my children in a natural family type environment.
- I appreciate the support of Independent Professional Caregivers, who want to help us keep all of our children together.
- I appreciate the support of Independent Professional Caregivers who helped us through a family emergency by being flexible and supportive.
- I appreciate the support of Independent Professional Caregivers who provide flexible care to us as shift working parents.
- We love the quality of the food that our Independent Professional Caregiver provides.
- Our Independent Professional Caregiver works in partnership with us, for the benefit of our child.
The 100 Voices of Independent Professional Caregivers would include child care professionals telling Minister Sandals that what they do is important because...
- I choose to provide professional care
- I support my community through safe, flexible and professional child care.
- I care about ensuring an environment that provides optimal opportunities for growth and development for each child in my care.
- I am legally and morally accountable to each family I work with.
- I support my family through a viable self-employment opportunity.
- I support my elderly relatives who live with us by working in close proximity.
- I support my child with special needs, by working from home.
- I provide my own children with a community of friends in a safe and caring environment.